What We Love
- The location. Selous is one of the premiere safari destinations in Africa.
- The flexibility. This is not a one-size-fits-all safari camp.
- The classic safari experience. Despite the obvious comfort and luxury, you will be close to nature here.
- The pool. You can swim while enjoying amazing views.
What To Know
- Each tented suite can host two guests. 24 people in all.
- The Retreat is 30 minutes from the nearest airport.
- Safari experiences are included.
About The Retreat
The Retreat is located inside Tanzania’s Selous Game Reserve, which is an UNESCO World Heritage Site and the largest completely-protected wildlife sanctuary in Africa. This is a safari camp unlike any other.
The Retreat combines modern comforts with the classic tented safari experience and easy access to one of the world’s wildest, most natural places. There are 12 tented suites, each of which can hold two guests. With a maximum occupancy of only 24 people, you can be certain that you will never encounter the kinds of crowds that are found at many other safari destinations in East Africa.
Because they are evenly spaced throughout he property, each tent offers a high level of privacy. The suites all have their own private deck, and often, you can view wildlife while sitting there with your morning cup of coffee. Despite the comforts, you can easily find a classic safari experience here. Each suite is equipped with an antique copper tub, handcrafted Africana and local decorations.
The well-made canvas tents provide a high level of privacy, but they can be rolled up so that you can enjoy views of the surroundings as well.
There is a separate space at the Retreat called the Love Nest. Equipped with a bed and sitting area, this is a tree house room that overlooks one of the watering holes in Selous. It is not uncommon to see hippos playing in the pond while you are sitting in the Love Nest.
The main lodge at the Retreat is called the Fort. It boasts an infinity swimming pool that sits on a deck. Swimmers get to enjoy 360-degree views of the surrounding reserve. There is also an upper deck area at the Fort. This serves as a lounge and a “star bar” in the evening time. Yes, the night sky is filled with stars in rural Tanzania, and the star bar is one of the best places to see them after dark.
Guests can enjoy tailor-made safari excursions at the Retreat. The guides can take you on whatever type of expedition you would like: on water, in a 4×4 jeep or on foot. You can even spend an overnight in the bush is a “fly camp.” A chef and butler will come along to make sure that you are comfortable on such an adventure.
- Bedrooms 12
- Bathrooms 12
- Event Types Babymoon, Birthday Party, Corporate Event, Family Reunion, Getaway, Group Travel, Honeymoon, Retreat, TV and Filming, Wedding
- Style Eco Resort
- Closest Airport SUMBAZI AIRSTRIP 30 minutes