The island of St. Lucia is one of the Caribbean’s southernmost islands. The island is 238.23 square miles and was controlled by both the French and British, and in 1979 became an independent state of the Commonwealth of Nations associated with the United Kingdom.
The Gros and Petite Pitons are the iconic volcanic mountains found on the island of St. Lucia. You’ll find their image on everything from the country’s flag to the label on your local brew.
St. Lucia is perfect for those looking for a bit of romance as well as adventure. You won’t have trouble filling up your days with a great itinerary full of outdoor activities, incredible dining, and ultimate relaxation.
Here is a the ultimate list of honeymoon ideas for your vacation in St. Lucia!
When to go
St. Lucia’s climate doesn’t vary much from summer to winter since it is fairly close to the equator, so you’ve chosen well! The dry season falls between December though May and the wetter season from June to November.
How to get around
You can rent a car if you are 25+. There are two main roads on the island that are paved, but you’ll encounter some tighter turns and mountainous regions. Like the UK, drivers drive on the left hand side. You’ll also need to obtain a permit (good for 3 months) which you can get at the airport. If you don’t rent a car there are taxis and buses to help you get from one place to another. Buses are privately owned minivans, so they can be hard to spot. Look for the letter H in the middle of the license plate.
What to do
There is an incredible amount of outdoor adventures that you can experience in St. Lucia. From hiking, zip-lining, touring plantations and national parks, you can fill up your days very easily.
You can always spend your day relaxing on the beach, but there are also plenty of water-centered activities that you can take part in like paddle boarding, snorkeling, sailing, fishing and diving.
Diving – Great for both beginners and experts, there are a ton of different dive operators that can help you explore the waters of the Caribbean.
Here is a list of some of the diving options:
- Scuba Steve's Diving
- Lucia Hyperbaric Society
- Island Divers at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
- Scuba St. Lucia at Anse Chastanet Resort
- Scuba Diving @ The BodyHoliday-Le Sport
- The PADI Dive Centre at The Jalousie Plantation
- Eco Dive St. Lucia
- Dive Fair Helen
- Eastern Caribbean DivingScuba Centre at Rendezvous
If you’re up for some other outdoor water adventures, the list below will offer some alternative activities for those that aren’t certified or ready for scuba diving.
- Cox and Company - SNUBA Tour – A happy medium between Scuba and snorkeling. Snuba does not require training but will allow you to dive up to 20 feet below the ocean’s surface.
- Flying Rae/Wave Riders – Offer both catamaran rentals and speed boat tours.
- Mystic Man Tours – Select from a number of tours from sailing excursions, sunset cruises, yacht or catamaran rentals, whale watching, sports fishing packages or glass bottom boat tours.
- Exodus Boat Charters - Deep Sea Fishing, Sightseeing & Snorkel Charters, Sunset Cruises and Whale & Dolphin Spotting Charters.
- Hackshaw's Boat Charters
- Endless Summer Cruises
- Sea Spray Cruises
Other outdoor excursions
Ready to get your feet back on land? These land activities will have you and your new spouse bonding over some of the most incredible views and memorable sights!
- The Barre de L’Isle – Take one of two trails that separate the island west from east.
- Maria Island – Tour two islets off the island full of incredible flora and fauna.
- Pigeon Island – This 40-acre park is connected to the main island by a causeway. Tour a mini museum, hike, explore coves, and more.
- Diamond Falls - Botanical Gardens & Mineral Baths – Check out the beautiful exotic plants on your way to Diamond falls waterfall. Then enjoy the mineral baths, which rival those found in Europe.
- Mamiku Gardens – Stroll the 12 acres of grounds surrounding old plantation estate grounds.
- Fond Latisab Creole Park – Step back in time and learn about St. Lucia’s creole history with this special tour.
- Sulphur Springs - Go early in the morning to avoid larger crowds as this is one of the most popular destinations on the island. Soak in the mineral mud for a unique and vitalizing experience.
- Des Cartiers – This trail allows for some great bird watching. Although there are some strenuous spots, the guide with go at your pace.
- Rain Forest Hikes – Conducted by the Ministry of Agriculture, these hiking tours include bird watching and the history of the St. Lucian parrot that returned after being close to extension.
- The Enbas Saut Falls – This 2.5 mile hike is located in the central area of the St. Lucian rainforest. You’ll encounter local birds as well as two waterfalls during your trek.
- Forestierre – This moderate hike runs along the Old French road, which dates back to the colonial days of the island.
- La Toc Battery – On this moderate park you will learn about the history of a variety of plans and their medicinal use. Enjoy a view of St. Lucia’s tallest mountain: Morne Gimme.
- Tet Paul Nature Trail – This four hour tour includes the Sulphur Springs, Diamond Botanical Gardens, Cocoa plantation, and more.
- Millet Bird Sanctuary – This two mile loop is home to over 30 species of birds. The climb reaches 1,000 feet to a view of the John Compton Dam.
Maybe you’ve always wanted to zip line or horseback ride. Here is a long list of other outdoor activities for those who want to do a bit more than just hiking:
- Soufriere Hot Wire Rides/Morne Coubaril Estate – Zipline under the petit Piton, climb a coconut tree, and tour the the Morne Coubaril Estate where you will learn about the fermentation process of the cocoa bean and enjoy a lunch with ingredients harvested from the estate grounds.
- Ziplining -Treetop Adventure Park – Another ziplining adventure from one tree platform to the next, located in Dennery.
- Lucia Segway Nature Trail Experience – Glide along the island on a Segway.
- Rain Forest Adventures – Offer a variety of tours from zip lining, aerial tram rides through the rainforest, bird watching and hiking.
- Jeep Tour by Island Adventures – Explore St. Lucia from this open topped Land rover jeep.
- ATV Paradise Tours – Ride ATVs around the forest with your own personal guided tour.
- Horseback Riding – Altlantic Shores Riding Stables – Ride along the beach with your love!
- Debaras Turtle Watching – Spot, measure and tag turtles as they come ashore to lay their eggs. This overnight adventure provides your tent, dinner and breakfast the following morning.
- Lucia Helicopters – What better way to see St. Lucia than by air!
- Horseback Riding - Trim's Riding Stables – Great for beginner, intermediate, and advanced riders. Ride through the trails of the northern end of the island.
- Lucia Golf Resort and Country Club – Located in the upscale neighborhood of Cap Estate, this par-71 course is a favorite to many golf legends and of course offers incredible views of the sea and mountains.
- Island Routes Caribbean Adventures – Offer tours in three different areas across the island including buggy, zip line, hiking, and mineral mud baths.
- Barefoot Holidays – Offer both half and full day excursions. One such excursion includes round trip transportation to the Anse La Raye weekly fish festival.
- Bike St. Lucia ��� Exclusively for guests of Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain, you and you’re your spouse can spend the day riding around the various trails. A few non-resident guest spots are available each day, so be sure to contact them early.
- Rhythm of Rum Tours – This tour provides both the historical and cultural heritage of St. Lucia and its rum production.
What to eat
St. Lucia is known for a combination of French, British and East Indian dishes. The most famous dish of the island is banana and salt fish, breadfruit and salt fish, and bouyon. Don’t forget to try the traditionally made cassava bread.
Here are a few of the top restaurants of St. Lucia:
Where to stay
Your honeymoon is the perfect time to spoil yourself. Spend the extra money for an upgraded stay somewhere special. One of these luxury resorts is sure to peak your interest!
The Ladera Resort sits upon Piton Mountain, which overlooks the incredible blue waters of the Caribbean. The resort has 32 private suites, each of which has a private patio and plunge pool. This private paradise is perfect for a romantic getaway.
Other luxury accommodations on the island:
More St Lucia Stories:
- Four “Secret” Romantic Getaway Spots
- The Caribbean’s Forgotten Season + Why You Should Experience It
- Valentine's Day Getaway Ideas
- Winter Getaways in the Caribbean
Are you spending your honeymoon in St. Lucia? If so, share your itinerary or must visit spots in the comments below!